Curse of the Crimson Throne - Gaiscioch
Seven Serpent's Run Events
Listed here are seven of the most popular events that take place at the Serpent’s Run.
- Decathlon: Each season brings a new set of decathlons wherein Magnimar’s aristocracy sponsors competitors (often from their own ranks) to vie for the next season’s bragging rights and the prestigious Sprinter’s Crown.
- Animal Races: Horse races and dog races are the most common competitions performed here, with a significant amount of gambling involved on the side.
- Golem Battles: Every spring, the Golemworks sponsors a week-long series of “golem battles,” where they invite magicians and priests from across Varisia to test their constructs in combat against the creations of Golemworks students. If a non-Golemworks creation wins the tiered battle, the Golemworks offers construction contracts or rewards of either cash or magic.
- Mock Gladiatorial Battles: These monthly events are put on by the city watch, partially as a way to help raise additional money for the government, but also to engender among the populace a feeling of pride in their guards. Popular guards often gain significant fan bases among the citizenry simply based on their performances in these mock battles.
- Nautical Exhibitions: Because of the difficulty of staging them, these exhibitions occur only once a year (traditionally on the first Fireday of Sarenith). The Serpent’s Run is flooded and ships are hauled up to take part in mock naval battles and recreations of famous nautical events.
- Bull fight: Sponsored by the Matador’s Lodge, bullfighting competitions occur during the late summer. These fights are organized as tournaments, with the winner of that year’s season walking home with a hefty prize of 2,000 gold coins.
- Hydra Baiting: These events are quite popular among those seeking even more violent thrills than those promised by bullfights. In a hydra baiting, adventurers are given a chance to show their prowess against captured but still quite wild hydras. Combatants are not allowed magic, and can only use vials of alchemist’s fire to stop a hydra’ head from regenerating.